Thursday 8 January 2015

Gloom and Bloom Line - December 2014

 
Hi everyone!
 
Firstly an apology. I've had this doll since the beginning of December and I've been to busy/lazy/forgetful to put my review up, so I'm hoping you'll all still find value in what I have to say :)
 
As soon as I saw the upcoming trademark 'Gloom and Bloom' I KNEW it'd have to include our favourite eco punk, Venus! The line is pretty much made for her :)
 
The layout of this box is GOREgeous, I love how Mattel are experimenting with the box designs. The old ones were cool but they grew a little boring in my opinion. I love how they're mainly plastic now; I don't remove mine from their boxes, so a clear box means I can look at them in closer detail <3
 
 
I absolutely LOVE the big bold artwork on the front of the boxes now!!
 
 
The same artwork is on the back of the box, along with a little story to go along with the theme (sorry for the blurry writing!), I can't wait for the webisode!
 
Appearance:
 
 
I'm gonna start doing this little comparison of my doll to the promo picture of the doll because quite often they make the promo pictures look better than the doll itself.
 
Here you see that THANKFULLY the makeup comparison is pretty spot-on, the hair is less voluminous, but that could be due to how it is fastened to the box. The promo doll's face looks a lot fatter than the actual doll and it makes her look like a totally different person :/
 
Venus is back to having OTT makeup, after a nice break of looking a little more grown-up through her Coffin Bean doll :) She wears a hint of green eye shadow under her eyebrows, hot pink eye shadow all around her eyes and lined with sky blue. Her lipstick is hot pink. 
 
 
Venus has gone back to the pink/green/black hair colour combo that has appeared in her Zombie Shake and I Heart Fashion dolls. Her hair is collected into a high ponytail and looks quite greasy, unfortunately.
 
 
 
At first I thought that Venus had forgotten to shave her head!! But the shaven part is there... It's just strangely moved to the back of her head... Not sure how I feel about that.
 
 
I love this outfit.
 
Venus wears what I would describe as a 50s style dress in a silky, Venus Flytrap-print fabric. I would totally wear that!
 
On top of this she wears a bolero in a black mesh fabric. Would also wear :)
 
Such a simple outfit, but so fitting for a garden party :)


A nice shot of Venus's lady garden... Ahem. 

Accessories:
 
 
My least favourite part of this outfit is her simple boots. I know it's best to dull down your shoes when your outfit is so detailed, but I feel these are a little too boring.
 
However, I LOVE her vines. She has Venus Flytrap vines on her legs and in her hair (shown in above photos). She wears a simple black belt, black vine earrings and a black vine necklace (all shown in photos above).
 
 
 Venus comes with a healthy looking Venus Flytrap and a plant pot (a younger sibling, perhaps? Or Chewlian's babies?!), although I feel that these could be more detailed, and a lovely ornate looking watering can.
 
I like:
Her hair (overall)
Her outfit
The Venus Flytrap accessories!
Her watering can
The new box and the box art

I dislike:
The shaved patch on the back of her head... WTH?!
The lack of detail on the potted plant
The shoes

Apart from the new vinyl figures, I've not seen any mention of upcoming Venus dolls, so we may be taking a break for a while! But I'll keep my eyes peeled for any news and I'll get the post up straight away this time ;)




 
 
Promo picture from: http://imgkid.com/monster-high-gloom-and-bloom.shtml
Back of head picture from: http://monsterhighactually.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/venus-mcflytrap-gloom-and-bloom.html

2 comments: